Saturday, May 4, 2013

        "Life is like riding a bicycle.  You have to keep moving or you'll fall over." A.Einstein
The weather here in Kansas has been cold and crappy so we haven't been getting much riding in.  Both of us still do our own excersise thing everyday but there's no substitute for time in the saddle on the road.  For a while I was spending as much time as I could stand on a stationary bike and a treadmill in my basement gym but I just couldn't take it anymore and quit.  Twenty minutes on a stationary bike or a treadmill seems like an eternity to me. I never was able to stick with those two activities.  Instead I do a variety of old school/gym class/G.I. Joe movements everyday like lots of fast no weight squats, lunges and some kind of sideways/kung fu/yoga stretch squat.  I don't know what to call it.  Plus I do my usual stretches, weighted leg movements every 3 days and something I like to call "hillbilly step aerobics".  I won't go into a lot of  details about it but it involves 3ea 5 gallon buckets set two feet apart in a row and you can see where that is going.  I don't think it's the kind of excersize most responsible gerontologist would recomend.  Based on our last two long rides  I'd say they've helped a lot although only time will tell about long range endurance.  We'll just have to get road ready on the road I guess.
There are a couple of  health concerns I'm a little nervous about but I've tried to mitigate them by  planning ahead.  The doc tells me I have the initial symtoms of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome so I've learned some hand/wrist stretches and I wear wrist braces while I'm on the  road.  The other  is my left foot that has some fairly disgusting malformations from artheritis so I tape it up and have purchased extra wide shoes. I wear a 9 1/2 4E now.  The condition  makes it difficult to walk sometimes but biking doesn't seem to bother it much.  In fact I had to back out of a Utah backpack with some of backpacking friends because of it.  I may have to get both of those situations fixed  when we return in August.
I can't wait to get this show on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment