Tuesday, June 4, 2013

     This is Russell writing.  Peggi is writing at the same time.
     We're in Belle Fourche S.D. 14 miles from the Wyoming border and 34 from the Montana border on hiway 212.  The wind is blowing 40 MPH out of the NW, the direction we want to go, so we decided to call it for the day and catch up on chores.  Clothes and bike maintenance mostly.  Plus we want to eat more.  We're way behind on the chore.  We didn't decide to not ride today just because of the wind.  It's probably doable if we had a destination within striking range but in the next 180 miles, or about that, there is only one town of any size, Broadus Mt (population 444), and it's at least 70 miles down the road.  Also we're not sure what the options for bushwhacking are so it would be a crap shoot.  That is, there may be no abandoned farms, tree lines, Lutheran Church's or cemeteries within striking range of the highway.     
     The wind here in S.D. has really been an issue.
    As Peggi has already written the Mickelson trail is beautiful but on a heavily loaded touring bike not so much fun. When we first got on it at Minehata (I think) trail head it was fairly mushy do to the recent rains so we got off and then back on in Custer.  The tourism industry is a little too intense for me as well.  On the upside we did find a cemetery 12 miles south of Deadwood to bushwhack in so that was exciting.  We also encountered a retired school history teacher in Custer whose name I wish I had.  There are more things I'd like to talk to him about.  I'll try this intraweb thingy later and see if I can make contact with him.  I know his age and last name so that's a start.
    I gotta go cause I thin my time is up here and I don't want to lose this
    

No comments:

Post a Comment